Thursday, May 26, 2011

Post-Dramatic-Confess


tygrfed
Yesterday, after watching Oprah Winfrey’s honest-to-God LAST SHOW EVAH, I was torn between feeling inspired/forgiving all who I feel have wronged me, and wondering if she had gone more than wee bit OTT toward the end when I swear I saw sparks of heavenly light with a flowing preacher’s robe covering her body. I know, the preacher analogy is what a myriad of bloggers and comedians have been saying in the past 12 or so hours. There is a reason for it. She was preaching and teaching.

Now Menz, before you bounce off this page muttering “Not another Oprah post, for Christ’s sake, I’m sick of all this O sheet”, let me tell you that you and I have a few things in common. I was never an avid Oprah watcher or fan. Nor did I dislike or disrespect her.

She probably saved your marriage and made it possible for your wife/girlfriend to tell you what she wanted in the bedroom/kitchen/hallway/shower/den/patio/bathtub/backseat…. For that, you owe the Big O a tip of the hat.

Part of the reason why I haven’t bowed at the alter of O is that for most of her career I was busy at my various career incarnations, living my dreams, following my Calling – doing precisely what her message entailed in yesterday’s monologue. I lived “it” and did “it” for years and years with barely a female role model to call my own. My inspiration came from within; from the joy of my work; the fun and friendship of co-workers, and the tangible knowledge that from the very beginning of my career travels, the best jobs always made a difference – a positive one – in the lives of many.

On the above is where I identify with Oprah. I also identify with the joy of entertaining people – one way or another – and learning from others who have been gracious and kind enough to provide feedback. To know that you have an audience from where you can gauge your impact is another area where Oprah’s comments hit home with me when she spoke about her first show not having anyone on the set other than a TV crew and a guest or two.

In most of my careers I was lucky to walk into situations where there was a built-in audience where all I needed to do was increase it to succeed. Now that I am experiencing another life/career transition in a world where everyone can communicate their thoughts, favourite music, art, etc. through the click of a finger and send it out to the world via cyberspace, an audience is not as easy to build – or keep – and one must be quick on one’s feet to stay relevant for more than a day.

Oprah’s message, albeit lofty and preachy, was a reminder to me that despite obstacles, it is imperative to listen to that whisper of your heart, your soul, when it’s telling you it’s time to change, take action, do what you are here to do. If not, those little bricks she mentioned that may hit you on the head will eventually turn into a painful landslide. Believe me, I’ve had to dig myself out of many a rubbled mess when I ignored my spiritual connection/gut instincts.

And so I write this post standing twixt and ‘tween the person of my past and future self -- testing new avenues for new revenue, while reaching deep within to remain true to who I know I am.

I have fumbled when I’ve plugged my ears from the whispers, allowing fears, jeers and pent-up tears to lead the way. We are “only human” as “they” say. We often do what we think we need to do rather than what we want to do when we believe there is no other option. It’s true that to pay the rent or mortgage those of us without easy money gracing our bank accounts on a regular basis may have to set pride aside and take on work we would rather not do instead of following our Calling.

In my “case"  it’s not an easy task to follow my Calling when my talents/skills and interests are diverse. I have spread myself thin, yet I wouldn’t do it any other way. I could never be happy with just one career. But that very chequered route I have taken has also created tremendous financial instability, monstrous anxiety, numerous mistakes and a ton of heartache. Yet, when I’ve been true to ME, my life has been full of harmony.

Oprah’s sermon was a lucid, perfectly communicated summation of all motivational-inspirational books and general spiritually-based philosophies: Be true to yourself. What you put out, for good or ill, comes back to you. Listen to the whisper in your ear of a higher energy within to set your life on YOUR best track. Give.

I may be having an Oprah hangover today with posting a reflective personal injection of my own thoughts. Nonetheless, I am impressed with anyone who dares to share their ups and downs, lifting others up to meet the best in themselves. And that is exactly what the Big O did for 25 years. It is what several friends of mine do every day. All are heroes in their spheres.

Remember that we can turn things around if our lives feel upside down. No matter what your age, there is always time to make a change or perfect your range. We can do it alone, we can do it with others. It’s all in our perception.

The title of a song and album of an old friend remains an inspiration:
Life Is Short But Is Wide *


*Maxine Sellers (Capital Records 1975)

4 comments:

  1. Great blog, Shauna! It inspired me lots!

    xxoo
    silent fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is one of the most authentic from the heart you have done, SZ. I like your other ones too. don't stop ramming the Becks and Palins while also sharing your personal stories.They are awesome sometimes.

    You go girl!

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!

    applause.

    your audience.

    ReplyDelete