Friday, February 17, 2012

Dueling Fandangos

It has been less than a week since Whitney Houston passed away, singing her way up into Heaven's fluffy white clouds along the way. It is also less than week since Adele swept the Grammy Awards, brooming-away some of the usual music debris found wobbling on the red carpet.

The only problem I have with two quite strong stories/events occurring within the same time frame is that both were/are fabulous singers, with Adele adding songwriting credits to her resumé, and both of their biggest hits are dueling it out in my head 24/7.

One minute I hear the soaring sounds of Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" interspersed with "Rolling In The Deep." One moment I'm loving someone forever and the next "we could have had it all..."  It can work back-to-back. A creative DJ can blend it, mix it, go back and forth, tweaking the controls until a quasi-symphony of pathos and current joy can be married to express both sides of the Love Issue in a fabulous dance of sorts. Sure, one can click their fingers, tap their feet, to Adele's hit. With Whitney's, it is a slow dance indeed - if one wants to dance, that is, to a heart-piercing pronouncement of undying devotion.

For now, I know not of anyone doing this, mixing-it-up, although I'm sure someone will (if not already up on YouTube), thus I'm still finding myself roaming around with the highs and lows of the lovely music playing in my very own inner CD player. But there is a slight struggle. One side of my body wants to lay down and sob, the other wants to look heaven's way and sigh and smile. Good thing I have an astrology chart that explains how I can exist in some form of sanity with conflicting desires.

Thanks again, Ladies, for your talent. And Adele, keep on falling in love with the very wrongest guy you can find. It is obviously the one part of Love that has been good to you. Honest.

I certainly can relate. Many times in my life I have agonized "We Could Have Had It All." And, there are a few beings on this planet I will alwaaaaaaays loooove...


Image via: http://easilyimagine.com