Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Confessions of a Former Leaf Lover

It's Hump Day! And thus far it's becoming a Wonderful Day In The Sky-Gazing Hood.

As Southern California goes through the Season Change from summer to Summer-Fall-Summer-Freezing-Fall-Hot-Summer-Fall, soft fluffy white clouds float around in the pristine (minus Chemtrails) blue sky, wiped clear of the Usual Debris by the gusty winds.

How lovely it is – until half of the leaves on the many trees surrounding the home in which I live are flung upon the long back balcony, entire front driveway, and cover the quasi-landscaped Green Places in front of where I live - an environment where No One Else's Home (Nearby) has the problem, which, of course, makes this abode a Doggy-Dump Destination. Nevertheless, why are The Leaves Of Beautiful Trees the bain of an otherwise promising day? Because they are the Bain Of My Every Day.

I once loved-loved leaves. I still do when in their "place" - which, for me, is on the ground on a big lawn where the crispy blanket of nature's castaways are at home with Other Homes. But here, where the streets are clean and lawns are sown with Perfect Sod, it doesn't fit in. It's Ugly!

AND, with or without winds, the musty, dusty, not-even-pretty leaves fall and crowd in corners, around chair legs, flower pots, car tires – whatever is stationary longer than 30 minutes. If the Annoying Leaves are not swept-up and away in a timely manner, they will grow into almost knee-high (I'm kinda short) mounds mingled with acorn shells, pine needles and cones with just the right touch of tree bark.

In their Communal Death Camps out front and on the balcony, they do  appear to enjoy each other's crinkly company a great deal, as if they gather together for A Low-Tea Leaf Party at my expense! Were the need to sweep a mere once or twice a week, I wouldn't mention it. However, as you can "see" from how much I'm bothered by it, the onslaught of those Nature Devils requires a daily, and sometimes 2-3 x a day sweeping assignment. It's Work! It's a Distraction! It can't be ignored – and believe me when I do Press Pause for a day or two, it isn't pretty, AND it really does a number on my sinuses.

But OH! I "should" be grateful for the gorgeous trees I am fortunate to see each day as if I live in a Tree House where such Nature-Fueled Views can create Magic in one's imagination. How dare I say or write anything to the contrary when I am to be grateful for having a home to live in; a unique hillside neighbourhood to roam within, and a pot to hiss in.

And, in The Overview, I am – grateful.

I just don't like Constant Messes, which is one of the reasons why I haven't been writing about American Politics or Specific Politicians lately. There are enough Old Dead Things flying all over and into my environment. I don't care to add to The Leaf Party in my own "back yard" by bringing Bitter Tea Leaves into my personal bag of burdens.

But hey! It IS a Nice Fall Day; thus, I'll grit my teeth, hold my head high, and gaze at a gorgeous sky while clutching the broom handle by-and-by.

Til next time, have a Wonderful Whatever!

Image via: http://m.inmagine.com

1 comment: