Monday, September 16, 2013

Reel-Al-Ity vs. Reality

How are you Breaking Bad fans doing this fine Monday morning? Not so great, eh? Still Reeling? (No, you won't find a Spoiler here.) I don't watch the show and never have. I've seen the promos, and that's been enough for me. From its debut, I wasn't drawn to its Meth-Infused Allure despite hearing great reviews. I've known very little about the plot or its characters - until now. However, from the comments I've read all over The Big Bad Web, it's a well-written piece of entertainment with characters people seem to care about.

And now the show's apparently intense episode last night is what "everyone" is talking, writing, about – even when the primary topic has nothing to do with BB.

In fact, on every single TV Program post on social media for Other TV Programs, Breaking Bad fans have jumped-in and hijacked the threads with various BB mentions as if the Other Shows people were commenting on did not exist. Tsk-tsk. That's FAN-At-It-Ism at its height, wouldn't you think? Or, simply rude fools? Or both? I bring "this" up today because I'm a follower of two Other Cable Shows that are reaching their end – one way or another – and was surprised to see how intense the BB people are about their Favourite TV Escape.

The Madness surrounding BB's apparently shocking episode reminds me of when other programs with huge followings built-up to a startling act or many actions concerning the Lead Characters in particular. The "Who Shot JR" Thing, except this time, because it's Cable and Not Network, the subject matter is grittier, sexier, somewhat realistic, and Far More Violent than anything from the past.

Why are so many of us drawn to the Drugs, Sex And Gore of almost all of the successful Cable shows which have been dominating Our Minds and All TV Awards over the past few years? Could it be The Writing, which is often better than what The Film Industry barely provides? The Incredible Acting? Cinematography? An actual Plotline?  Or, a combination mixed with the Classic Human Nature element of Rubber-Necking A Train Wreck, which almost all of the Main Characters in those programs are? I believe it's both, particularly when Sex & Drugs are involved. What a concept! How novel!

Mentioning "novel" reminds me of several BB fans tossing the word "Shakespearian" around with regard to last night's episode. Wow! Have I been missing a tinge of Literary Brilliance by not watching the show? Does my choice of Dexter and Ray Donovan mean that I'm a mere plebe in my TV Watching Taste? By how Dexter has tossed its plotline overboard as Dexter once did with his victims, I have to admit that I might be "reading" on a Lower Level, yet haven't been able to set the book aside out of curiosity with how the story ends.

The other program I watch with Odd Dedication, Ray Donovan, the New Sopranos (which I also didn't watch for some reason although I had HBO at the time), is another story, shall we say/write. It's complicated beyond belief. Cliché's abound at every turn. Liev Schreiber (Ray) has yet to break a smile and needs a shave and Huge Hug to soothe his angry heart. Jon Voight, who portrays his terribly weird father, annoys me to no end in almost every scene and I wish…well, I promised No Spoilers. Nevertheless, I'm fascinated by Twists & Turns and, if nothing else beyond excellent production values, find myself growing fonder of the show as it nears its possible Ultimate End (or not).

So, what's my point? We all have our Guilty Pleasures whether or not we understand why we're drawn to them. Profound, eh?

With Molasses (!) spilling into the waters of Hawaii, killing more fish; with Fukushima Radiation seeping deeper in the Japanese soil and waters, slowly but surely making its toxic way through the Pacific Ocean to the U.S. Western Shores; with This Syria Debacle; floods happening every other minute all over the country and world, and Blah-Blah-Blah, I guess we can all find relief in carnage that exists outside Our Realtie's because when the shows are over, we can turn off the TV, do something else, and find gratitude that our friends aren't plotting to kill us…unlike the Real Killers in the Real World.

And on that Happy Monday Note, I bid you all a fond farewell for the day in writing.

(A little note to Breaking Bad Fans: Try to keep your enthusiasm for the show in check and Stay Out Of The Comments Sections Of Other TV Shows! Geez.)

Image via: It's on the picture, but here's the link - http://design.superholik.com

2 comments:

  1. Breaking Bad was way baaaaad in a good way last nite. It couldn't have been better. Dexter sucks. Same with the Soprano rip-off. You are reading at a lower level my dear. It's your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anon. Each to his/her own, as it were.

    ReplyDelete