Saturday, March 31, 2012

It's Over, Man!

With a mixed-bag focus of Flogging, today I find myself once again in that dreaded position of wondering what to write? Of course I could make a comment or ten about Keith Olbermann's latest Bridge Burning Ceremony with his abrupt (it's always "abrupt" with Keith) departure/firing from Al Gore's Barely Noticeable Current TV.

But, why bother when Olbermann's exit is simply another indication that the guy is hell to work with/for/be around? I once adored the man. Loved his use of the English Language unlike most of his peers; the fiery attitude of righteous indignation whenever a loud and intelligent voice was needed regarding a political/cultural situation.

I liked his ties. Something he apparently didn't. After a few months on his Current TV mash-up, suddenly Keith dropped the debonair and adopted an "I don't care" by going tie-less with the basic loose-at-the-neck open-collar shirt. I don't care for that look on news anchors/hosts. If a guy is going to wear a suit jacket with a shirt that has a collar, then put the tie on. Or wear a crew neck sweater or shirt...otherwise, to me it looks sloppy and Keith didn't pull it off.

Not only did the "look" not work, but nor did his show. As a dedicated viewer of his former program on MSNBC, I could barely sit through an entire segment of his new "Countdown..." when he re-emerged from temporary obscurity (despite his Twitterings). I was not alone. The ratings were terrible.

So, now Mr. Olbermann has made another TV exec angry - perhaps an entire channel of people, actually - and has thundered away once more into what may become a longer-than-usual purgatory.

I wish I could say "Farewell" in a hopeful tone, anticipating his next appearance on the air, somewhere, but not now. Something never clicked for me and thousands-millions of others with his latest incarnation.

Therefore, in finally writing more than I expected from myself today, I bid the once almost dashing gent in his once dapper suits and ties, a tepid goodbye.


(Hundreds of jokes can be made regarding the fact that former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer - disgraced by a sex scandal in 2008 - is replacing Olbermann's show with his own piece of the radioactive airwaves. I'm trying to think of one that is closer to PG-13 than XXX. Not easy. I'm sure Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show" writers will find a way, though. Hint.)

Image via: www.stylelite.com

3 comments:

  1. he's an azz - good riddance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he could team up with Al Frankin, and bring back Air America?? :) John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, John. I completely blocked-out "Air America" in my mind after Rachel M. finally left the station.

    Hi Anon! Yep. Apparently so.

    ReplyDelete