Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Halo-Tosis

Now I understand why so many celebrities lose their minds. It's due, in part, with what KONY creator Jason Russell has been diagnosed with following his very, very public meltdown last week in San Diego when he ran through the streets nude, pounded his fists on the ground and, in general, was having an "episode" of one sort or another.

The condition his mental health doctors are saying was the cause of the incident is "Brief Reactive Psychosis." Details Here

"Brief Reactive Psychosis" makes a great deal of sense for at least a portion of Russell's troubles that day. It also works for me when we hear about celebrities who are suddenly flooded with acclaim and hoards of strangers chasing after them with cameras and pens-out for an autograph every other minute. They either fall into the quicksand of self destruction if they don't feel worthy, or take it to the other side of the glitter and buy into their press and already entitled ego-driven demands and superior attitudes.

The latter is when reality is but a memory and one's sense of feeling Extremely Special steps in. It's so very easy to extend the "Brief" in the "Reactive Psychosis" to "Full-time." Some celebs handle their hu-mongous success with dignity and humility. Chances are they were around the Biz for a while before becoming "overnight successes" and have been able to stay somewhat sane for years on end.

But unless you are Justin Bieber with Usher as your mentor and already filled with a deep sense of being the Second Coming, fame will def eff you up. If one has been trained to deal with instant fame, shielded by "handlers" and given sound advice on how to remain (or become) as grounded as possible in the midst of an international spotlight, the attention can still be overwhelming but at least they had been warned, trained and prepped. But others, especially those who are normally behind-the-scenes, aren't prepared for their close-up.

And those who have been used to a bit of "fame" and "specialness" may still slide into the subtle psychosis of being revered by the nameless crowds of fans and fanatics. I had my own time of entilement when I was a popular DJ for a short while. Suddenly I was receiving free haircuts, free photoshoots, free dinners at restaurants, deep discounts at clothing stores... Paltry trade-offs considering that when I was on the air the payola scandals of the music biz with radio stations was at its height.

Unlike several of the top guys in the executive suites, I didn't have the pleasure of getting a free swimming pool added to where I was living, or a neato car and so on. But just knowing I could waltz around getting the best table at a restaurant, allowed into the back doors of clubs and showered with gifts on holidays from record ex's and a few music artists, sent my already strong ego into a mind-set that I deserved all of those things - for free - and would always have that cachet.

I did, for a while. Until years later, after leaving radio and TV programs where I was the Music Person, I never had to buy an album/CD of any artist. It was all given to me. So were the private screening invitations to the latest major film, and the best seats at any concert I chose. Or an invitation to spend a holiday party at the home of a major celeb and/or musician. It went with the territory.

And I was just a DJ! Not Madonna. Not a Shining Star in the Hollywood pecking order of "Who's Who." The only thing that brought me back to earth after the radio daze was when I was lost and unsure of where to go next with my talents. So, I took many an odd job I was barely qualified to do just to stay afloat. Going from signing autographs to answering phones brings on a different perception of reality. And I was only in my 20's when the shift arrived.

But, my personal version of "Reactive Psychosis" still bit at my heels when two other high-profile careers placed me in positions of some renown, and suddenly my name was in the gossip sections of industry magazines/papers such as The Hollywood Reporter, Billboard, etc. When not mentioned as having attended a private industry party, the various positions I held in TV made minor headlines in all of the trade papers.

I bring a small part of my personal experience as a very small player in three entertainment-based industries as an example of what one can become used to after years of fawning, freebies and professional popularity. Believe me, it's way too easy for some in The Biz to lose any sense of perspective on what "really matters" in Life.

Then again, for some, all that really matters is the Fame and Fortune - which are the ones who usually don't have "brief" or longer-lasting "Reactive Psychosis" because, hey, they already thought they were destined for God-like worship. Nope, no "psychosis" there. Just "Halo-Tosis."

I feel for Jason Russell if he indeed has been overwhelmed in a debilitating way by instantaneous recognition among what must have been a whirlwind few weeks of being 'The Latest Big Story' with the KONY video circling the globe faster than Superman on steroids.

You know, I'm thinking that I may need another dose of Quasi-Fame to facilitate another reason why I'm having my own Reality Meltdown (as explained in my Profile for why this blog exists). Yep. Tell all of your friends and foes about this little site. Let the growing readership of TDFB become overwhelmingly huge and then I will write even more confusing nonsense and ensure my place in the latest Hall of Insane that we can now describe as a form of psychosis. Considering how "Reactive" I can be, the chances of acceptance into this hitherto barely known condition is undoubtedly automatic.

Heh heh?

No comments:

Post a Comment