Monday, November 22, 2010

The Battle of the Indulged

Last week I flogged on one side of the fence regarding the bullying I've seen and experienced on forums and comment's pages on gossip sites. I knew I was treading on delicate ground to call out a particular group of women for what I found offensive on a personal and cultural level. After all, I did suggest there were loose planks at the bottom of some of their houses.

Despite a few unflattering responses on one site in particular where the examples of evisceration are most pronounced, no bombs that I'm aware of have been slipped into my luggage to unknowingly carry to another location where I intend to examine the other side of the issue. The problem I have in entering "the other side of the fence" in the gossip world regarding the actress, is that from what I've read thus far, these pro-actress groups of women are scarier than a black widow spider creeping into your bed at night. Unless you wake up, hysterically leap from under your sheets to somewhere 50 miles away in a nano-second, you may end up not waking-up at all from the sting.

One clever but quite crass blog whose owner slams the skeletal remains of the actress in a unique fashion, was pounced on with death threats and had to shut down her blog for several days. Hackers hacked into the blogger's personal information; locusts swarmed until police were brought in to temper the infestation. Death threats you ask? Isn't that sort of thing only aimed toward public figures or family members? Why would anyone threaten the life of a blogger who only writes snarky remarks against a celebrity on a tiny little corner of the vast interwebs? Er, probably because they're out of their minds?

It's a war out there between those who are so obsessed with their idol(s) and those who loathe them, preferring to uphold the "class-act" of another much aligned actress in the never-ending drama. Amazing. As if there isn't enough drama in the world already with planetary havoc rising up in one form or another nearly every week. Ah, but that's part of why many of us have sought diversion in the fluffy puffs of gossip-land. It's easier to wrap our brains around petty gossip about strangers than to focus on what appears to be Mother Nature in a bad mood.

(I'll flog in fairness. A majority of these women do have other interests - at least those I'm aware of from the very same sites I've bashed. However, when given an opportunity to weigh in on more substantial issues, it seems like the only thing they really care about in the bonding ritual is this completely way-getting-old "triangle" of a Hollywood "siren" - a former "golden boy" - and an "America's sweetheart.")

From one gossip site to another, more than basic "bullying" prevails between the two camps. There should be a Wii program for these gamers. They call each other "Loons" and "Anti's." The "Loons" adore one actress, the "Anti's" hate her. Anyone who disagrees with the point of another on the subjects of our focus has to be one or the other...there is no middle ground. You either win or lose or bash each other's heads in, with no one holding the flag at the top of the mountain. If one ever really wins at all, it's ephemeral. As with radical politics and religion, if you're hell-bent on staying your course, nothing will sway your belief system. You might win the battle but lose the war.

From what I've gleaned, the players involved are not teenagers. I shouldn't be surprised at this revelation when adults are now pounding the pavement in America wearing silly little hats of the Statue of Liberty's crown, crowing over how superior they are to "liberals" and anyone else who doesn't share their political views. It's all fun and games, isn't it? In politics, it's dangerous, as serious outcomes are involved that will effect one's life. In the gossip world, it's just another day to indulge in mud-slinging.

Before I gather the nerve to slip over to the other ("Loons") side of the fence to read how the other half lives on their day-after-day fawning binges, I need to change into protective gear to shield myself from what I've been told are equally vile accusations thrown against "America's Sweetheart." I thought I had a fairly good idea of what that sector thinks of her based on comments they make on the "Anti" site, but who knows what may be found at the source? I understand there is a place named "The Grotto" where these uber-fans write vicarious sexual fantasies of the "hot jungle" mating of "the most beautiful couple in the world."

Perhaps I'll take a sick bag with me on this journey.

3 comments:

  1. Been there, watched that mess. Hope you'll get out of that insane world soon.... BOTH sides of that fence are toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't there better things to blog about? What you've been describing makes me ill and I haven't been there first-hand.

    At the same time, it would be disturbing to be in the middle of the swamps, and you are making a good point about the way people disrespect others when they can be anonymous.

    Are you educationing those of us who don't go to the dark places? If that's your real point, I'll stay away from gossip message boards. Even iVillage posters slam each other but not like what you're describing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious idea to turn this fracas into a game - Antis' vs Loons. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete