Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Sunday Fun Day In America

Today is The Super Bowl in America! I will watch it at home with a friend who hates football. The Infamous Commercials for the annual event are often the most interesting part of The Game, which is one of the reasons those of us who aren't complete football addicts care to turn on the TV to watch guys in tight little suits and awkward-looking metal gear on their heads chase an oval-ish shaped ball around a field of grass with lines and words written all over it.

And, of course somewhere along the way one of the players will be hurt and carried off the field to be diagnosed with another head injury. Ahhhh, I just love watching brutality in motion. Do I sound anti-American with such a cynical take on America's National Pastime? No. I'm simply not into how much contact there is in this particular Contact Sport.

I'm not against sports. Basketball is my favourite game to play and watch. I like the fast-moving action and skill it takes to "make a basket." Unfortunately, no Super Anything Big happens in that game because it's played indoors by pros; has less seats than a huge football stadium, and no proper stage to place singers and bands for Ultra Half-time Extravaganzas. So, all Basketball fans have to look forward to is which celebrity is sitting court-side pumping their fists into the air when their team makes a basket; and for Lakers fans, will Kobe keep the ball moving?

Now, when it gets down to Golf, I'm already asleep the moment the announcer softy whispers into his mic that Tiger is "on fire." I understand the sport. I used to play golf quite often as a kid/teen. Had my own clubs, shoes… I once came in 3rd in a Youth Golf Competition. Not bad. But now? The closest I've been to a golf ball and clubs was at least 15 years ago at a Driving Range. My hands hurt afterwards. That was the end of that. Just not my "thing", although the scenery on the courses are quite pretty, aren't they?

Some of us just aren't that interested in Sports and would rather go to a Museum or take a nice long walk. If one could turn being a "Foodie" into a sport, I'm certain to be the first in line. Hah! I know there are the Awful Food Contests all over the world that some may consider to be a "sport" when it's how many hot dogs a person can stuff in their mouth within a specific time period and live. I'm not thinking of those extremely gross examples. I'm talking about sitting down at a nice restaurant and eating as much shell fish as I can stand. I'm sure I would at least "place" in The Finals. After that, I'd go to the nearest ER ASAP for the inevitable High Cholesterol Spike.

Sigh. It appears that most sports come with risks. ("Really?" you say with disdain at The Obvious.) Competition is buried deep in our Human DNA, bringing-out the best (and worst) in our Beings. That's why we have these Holy Sports Events such as what is happening today in New Orleans. There is a need to Cheer And Yell as players grunt their way through a game; or, as with Tennis, a "match." We watch people do amazing feats of physical balance, strength and skill and want to be entertained as well as stimulated. You never, ever, thought of that before now, did you?

And so, with this tepid Sports-Based Post, I bid you all farewell for the day in writing. In the interim, may The Best Team Win today. (I may not notice what's happening until the 4th Quarter, but I know I'll remember the commercials – and BeyoncĂ© at Half-time. She's EVERYWHERE lately, isn't she? Are we sure the Super Bowl isn't just another Big Party for her, like The Inauguration?)

Thanks for stopping by!

Image via: http://sportschatplace.com

No comments:

Post a Comment