Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Travel Musings

Tis the busiest Travel Day in America. Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and those of us who have places to go and relatives to see are preparing our luggage and heads for the potential duress of feeling as if we are cattle at the end of a Sadomasochists' icy prod. For those who fly, it's the Invasive TSA "pat-down" routine, along with the Long Lines for tickets, Baggage Check, etc.

For others who take trains, like me, it's a group of possible High School Dropouts who have been given positions of what they see as "Power" to yell at the top of their mighty lungs to Stay In Line HERE for the train that goes THERE while they literally stomp-strut their way down a line barking orders to a bored and restless crowd of travelers. It's not as bad as the TSA routine; however, a few weeks ago, while traveling, I was amazed to see how suddenly angry and Bully-Like the Union Station "officials" were behaving toward people who had done nothing more than buy a ticket to get on a train to go somewhere. By the way one woman in charge of the crowds acted, one would think she was handling a group ready to be thrown into a bus and sent off to jail. Rude doesn't begin to describe her tone and body language.

I thought the Show Of Power was an isolated situation, as I've been traveling from Union Station for years and have never seen or heard so many "authorities" treat the crowds like trash. So, I ignored her and went on my way as I was not part of any line and had free reign to go to my platform and wait unfettered by Monsters Of No Power Behaving Badly. However, once my train was on its way and all was calm and easy-going, suddenly two burly Sheriffs in their Sheriff Clothes made an appearance in the car I was in and stood with arms folded and sour expressions, glaring at all of us with a jaundiced eye. Were they looking for someone? Did they need to send an Intimidation Message to the nice people on the Commuter Train or what? The longer they stood with their feet planted far apart and their buzz cuts sizzling at the edges, I realized they were passengers, too, and got off the train at the next stop. Nevertheless, what was that Unnecessary Show Of Hulk all about?

I like to know the populace has protection from violence and so on. That's fine. But when the employees of airlines and trains and local government treat innocent passengers like dirt, that's when all of the caution turns to resentment.

Later today, as I wait for my second train and have a bit of time to roam around the gorgeous Union Station in L.A., I'll do my best to stay out of the way of the Lines Of Cowering Innocents while Big-Mouthed Hate-Their-Jobs employees start throwing both their excessive physical and self-appointed Important I'm In Charge Here weight around just for kicks. Should you have to travel this year, I hope you have a decent experience. It seems like "The Help" on airlines and trains need a few lessons in diplomacy these days.

Time to pack and get on with what will inevitably be a long day with or without Burly Policemen and Overzealous Amtrak Women tossing around a very wet and cold washcloth with which to slap everyone who passes by.

Oh well. At least the view from the train will be pretty. If you like visions of rusty rail cars sitting in abandoned lots near creepy-looking warehouses for half of your trip.

See you later...

Image via: http://projects.ajc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment