Thursday, December 8, 2011

It's the Simple Things - Really!


There is too much negativity in the air today - another deadly shooting at a U.S. college; Congress continuing to act like spoiled children; the anniversary of John Lennon's assassination, that I have decided to un-Flog today and, instead, share a little bit of positive news, albeit my own.

For the first time in 3 months - ever since my hip thingy began - I was able to take a shower unassisted by a nurse today. Wow! I know. Some of you may laugh or smirk, "So what?"

I'll tell you "what." It's always the things we don't think about that become important when ill or held back by an injury. Not being able to take a bath or shower without help is just one of the many things that affect our sense of independence.

After relying on others for months to help me with the simplest tasks, it is a landmark to finally 1) Walk again without crutches or a cane (though I still have a way to go with total recovery). 2) Be able to lift a full teapot of water and take it to the stove. 3) Carry my very own tea cup into my work space and not have to wait for someone else to make it, then bring it, to me. 4) Have a long shower without rushing - in private.
I could go on with a list of what I couldn't do on my own, but I believe you get the idea.

It's great to be FREE!

That's it. Just a nice message to share.

In addition, to honour John Lennon, the music videos today will focus on a few of his tunes.

Enjoy!


Image Via: bathroomexpress.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. congrat's, kiddo! now bring me a cuppa tea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Shauna. I'm tickled to death for you.
    I know what you mean. I didn't get to tie my own shoes for 8 months after I broke my back. It's the little things that you miss, and the return of each one is indeed a triumph!! John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, John. Yep. Tying shoes is another one of those things on my list. Glad you recuped, tho'. A broken back is - well - awful!

    (BTW, have attempted to reply to your emails but they bounce back to me. Hmmm. Wanted to let you know...)

    Also, thanks to Anon as well for the comment....

    ReplyDelete