Thursday, December 1, 2011

I'm Totally Blown Away


Whoa out there! The annual California Wind Gust Tantrum is upon those of us who live in the often testy environs of the state. Power outages, as per usual. Trees falling, gates collapsing, fences flying into a hapless neighbor's yard. It's a bit wild out there right now and we've been told by the weather people that the sometime 97mph winds we had last night could be even worse tonight.

I wonder if any houses will go a'flying. Batten-down whatever your hatches may be, Southern Californians!

Get flashlights and candles ready. Already my location has lost power twice in 12 hours. Losing power can be kinda cozy sometimes, but not for me right now. I need to hurry with my personal work so that I won't be caught later on without electricity to continue the project I've been hired to do which is done on my computer. An hours' battery power won't get me through a few chapters of the book I'm working on, and my deadline is supposed to be tomorrow. So, I need to get moving earlier than scheduled for that part of my day.

Considering that almost everything on the back balcony of my woodsy abode was tossed everywhere from the intense wind gusts, and are now layered on the wooden planks with leaves the size of basketballs, dead and ripped huge and small trees limbs, among other natural debris, such as poison berries from one of the trees and little dried pine needles everywhere, I only hope to greet the morrow not finding myself also buried beside them.

Ah, 'tis nothing that frightening, really, just one of the little things California-living provides: weather-related drama without the need to have a film ticket to watch natural disasters in 3-D. 


Image via: Paulo Azevedo

1 comment: