Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Disunited Colors of Very Wrong


It appears that it's time for me to flex one of my very few Conservative Muscles and flog the advertising agency of the clothing brand, The United Colors of Benetton. Odd that I would do so today, of all days, as I happen to be wearing a Benetton sweater that I've had for years which has now been turned into a section of my wardrobe that I wear only around the house as it has stretched into a near mini skirt over time, yet is still nice and warm and not ripped or stained.

In reviewing the news, I stumbled on an article regarding the recent Benetton campaign which shows male world leaders kissing each other on the lips. Now, in one sense, that's a slightly nifty way to gain attention, and the supposed "We are all One" message is global and positive.

BUT, as much as I have thousands of issues with the Catholic Church, I don't think creating an image of the Pope kissing another man (no matter what and who he is) to be in very good taste. Not that The United Colors of Benetton has been a tower of Political Correctness in many of their controversial ad campaigns, but using any religious leader in an ad campaign in a position of compromise for shear shock and talk value is going too far.

Thankfully, the ad is under fire from the Vatican and the offending images have been/will be removed. Here is the skinny: The Kiss of Yeck!

It's enough that ad agencies around the world are sexing-up children's commercials; creating more "Women As Hos' " ads for print and all other mediums. Now we have what just happened.

Beyond the use of the Pope and other global figures for sales-generated purposes, how would you feel if a picture of you was used without your permission (if you were/are a public figure) kissing someone - anyone - you would never even hug?

Now that's more than gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment