Thursday, May 9, 2013

Who Deserves a Flog Today?

The Flogging Whip is ripe and ready to let its lovely fury lash out at message board commenters and others who are petty as petty can be over anyone who tries to do something good in the world and just happens to not have a "perfect past." 

What a bunch of sheets people are/can be – and of course I'm not talking about high-thread-count sheets, but the scratchy ones with a low thread count that remind one how quality will win every time if you want to avoid "sheet burn." 

Okay. I'm not really writing about actual sheets, as I assume you already realized by my not-so-crafty way to begin this post on how nasty some people have become about and to Cleveland's "hero" – Charles Ramsey – because he has elements of not-so-wonderful behaviour in his past.

I have to ask "why" people are beginning to diss Ramsey because what is the point his new foes in the media and elsewhere are trying to make by demeaning a man who did something decent? Do "we" have to tear every single person down who has risen to the top for one reason or another – even if it's for a mere few minutes of fame?

Really, I ask again: what is the point? Who gains, here? Are we now setting an example to potential future "heroes" that they shouldn't help someone in danger and need if they have a few "skeletons in the closet" that are bound to be ferreted-out just for a different twist on a very big news story? If we have to reconsider rescuing someone or something from harm due to a mistake or twelve we made in the past, chances are that the moment of the emergency's urgency could slip by and a rescue isn't possible for various reasons.

What did Charles Ramsey do, you might ask if you haven't heard the news by now? I'd rather you read about it yourself than have me distill the BS that is coming-out today. So, here's a link if you are so inclined. LINK 

C'mon, people! Leave the guy alone with his Big Mac's and kind heart and, for once, let's just appreciate the goodness that still exists in Human Nature – particularly in Cleveland where I lived for two years.

Let's take a brief look at Cleveland while on the subject: First, it's a cooler, more sophisticated, city than its reputation, but it is also filled with racism on both ends, which is why Ramsey made the remark about knowing something was wrong if a "pretty white girl" runs into the arms of a Black man. In Cleveland, no truer words…  In fact, one of the very few times I have been discriminated against as a White Person was in a restaurant in Cleveland where I had been taken for dinner by my Program Director at the time who was (and still is) African-American.

I loved the food and returned a month later with a female African-American friend where we sat for over a half hour to be given a menu while all others who came in after us had not only received their menus, but were having their appetizers. My friend spoke to the waitress several times. We were ignored when ready to order and, with surprised disgust on my end and embarrassment on my friend's part for the obviously petty discrimination against both of us, we decided to leave rather than make a scene. I gathered that not only was I not welcome unless with a "star" of the city (which he had been at that time), but my friend was being silently "told" that it was very uncool of her to bring a white person into a "Soul Food" restaurant. Sure, that incident was a very long time ago; however, I hear that in some areas (such as where Mr. Ramsey lives) racial discrimination remains alive and unwell.

Therefore, it says even more to me how very brave Charles Ramsey had been to actually consider helping a White Person who he initially thought could be in a Domestic Abuse situation. To me, that's all I need to know to say once more how petty it is for people to start tearing him down.

Small rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment