Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oh %$#@!!!

Oh no! I did it again! No posts yesterday without explanation! I'm just all askew, per usual.

This home "recovery" thing is very distracting, not to ignore other elements involved with healing a physical wound of any sort. Lots of "Ouch's" and "Oh sheet" and so on.

Anyhow, I haven't ignored what has been going on in the world despite appearances. There are numerous comments to make regarding Gaddafi's gory demise...but the one that stands out the most to me is how so many bloggers and general op-ed's have been focusing on the many ways his name was spelled...just as I wrote in March: Lost In Translation 

Why has it been difficult for everyone in the West in particular to determine what one would consider to be the correct spelling? And why should we care? Well, why not? I'm sure you prefer people to spell your name properly, right? How many times have you received mail in one form or another with gross misspellings of your name from organizations and others who "should" know better? 

After all, our names are our identity; thus Gaddafi may have been a strange dictator who doesn't deserve sympathy or even empathy for his lethal actions over the years, but at least in death it might be nice to have all of the news outlets - TV and print - use the same spelling.

But then, that's just my opinion and the one area of "discussion" that I have to say in all humility (Hah!) I was slightly ahead of the game about when others were barely focusing on the trivial part of Gaddafi's saga.

OK. I have now patted myself on the back. I deserve to do so as I certainly flog myself enough in my blog posts for minor errors. A few self-appointed accolades can't hurt.

Beyond this little slide into additional superficiality, as written in other earlier posts, this has indeed been the year of global housecleaning. Mother Nature took one part of the job offer and continues to make her havoc-wreaking ways known for all to see (witness today's earthquake in Turkey). And on the other end of things, human intervention against tyrants has toppled a few age-old regimes and some sort of new order is at hand with what to do with the currently rudderless, leaderless countries on the verge of either Democracy or more of the same oppression under a different form of leadership (Egypt).

But one area of housecleaning didn't happen despite constant predictions to the contrary: The Rapture. Once more, Mr. Camping's assurance that October 21, 2011 would bring about the "real and authentic Rapture" (unlike the much hyped one that didn't materialize in May) was yet another bust. I guess the Cosmic Powers That Be are staying away from a total global disruption of the Final End Game.


Writing of housecleaning, kudos and much appreciation to my mother who arrived a few hours ago and immediately took a vacuum to my bedroom floor. So much traffic is happening in here these days that it requires a nice little clean-up twice a day. For me, at least, that's the only kind of housekeeping I want at the moment...practical and non-chaotic. 


The world can carry on with its overthrow of dictators and the weather will continue to take its own course.


Enjoy what's left of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment