Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Weepy Hollow and All Of That

Hello on the Sunday directly in front of the official "Halloween"-calendar-edicted day of celebration for the Dead.

Were you out and about last night at parties? Were you hiding in a deliberately-blacked-out house to throw the neighbours' children off as to No One Is Home Don't Bother To Knock ala Martha Stewart's MO at various times in her always colourfully weird past history? Yes, she did do that. Read her daughter's book, if you dare or care.

When asked if she is attempting to 'sabotage' her daughter's book, Martha laughs with a jovial "Oh, it's all so jolly well fine with me that my daughter has outed me as the oft-times anal Mommy Dearest Follow The Rules maniac I once was and could still be, although I have been humbled over the years into a nice no-nonsense-loves-to-garden-in-Wellington-boots and smell-the-earth-between-my-special-gardening-gloves 'everywoman'. So far, so good - and appropriate." (Martha Stewart didn't actually say all of that in those specific words - but...)

OR, have you been treating the holiday-ish weekend with less than the spirit of goblins? Have you been going about your life as if nothing unusual is afoot? If so, good for you in choosing your own path and not falling into lockstep with what a calendar and peer-pressure (history, of course) tells us to do on such a given calendar day.

The one aspect of Halloween I do enjoy whether or not I go out to parties and events (depending on the year and cycle in my life), is the food. Squash. Nutty-tasting roasted vegetables, forbidden junk candy...

It goes on in the food department. Crispy Creme doughnuts. Cider. Hot Tawdry's of one sort or another.

Enough! I may have to summon something caloric and non-nutritional to get through the remainder of the day.

Enjoy whatever you are doing!


Image via: Martha Stewart Living 2010 Handbook - Clear Cover Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment