Friday, October 28, 2011

Hiding In Plain Sight

Good morning/afternoon/evening...

What a day it's been for this new temporary invalid! And, in my part of the vast Universe, it's not yet noon. I was awakened by a knock on my bedroom door by the owner of the house in which I reside who informed me that a plumber had to come into my room to check my bathroom for possible leaks. I don't know about some of you, but I have a privacy issue and over the years have endured strange men tromping through my room while I have been asleep in bed. Pulling the covers over my face and playing possum hasn't been a pleasant experience.

Now that I am unable to quickly flee the room to provide both the interloper and myself our own version of "space" I again growled at the sudden inconvenience (I didn't know the plumber would need to be in my bathroom) and flung the covers over my face in a silent fury. The second he left the room to get his tools I was up and angrily crutching my way into the living room muttering obscenities under my breath in a not-yet-awake fog.

Displaced, head full of nasty thoughts, I set myself up with tea and the computer to while away the time. "Just go with it" the soft, spiritual voice within directed. "Oh, go to hell" the pissed-off "other" voice shouted from my brain. By the time I had finally awakened and was no longer flummoxed from the intrusion, the efficient plumber completed his work and was gone.

Moments later, a nurse rang the doorbell. She was here to assist me with a shower. That was nice. She was professionally helpful so that I wouldn't slip and slide into breaking my hip again (this time through a messy bathroom fall), and when all was done, I was sparkling and fresh, smelling of the baby-powdered-scent lotion-oil mixture I like to use after baths and showers. Within moments, the kind nurse was gone and in her place arrived another nurse to take my blood and check my "vitals."

Looks like I'm going to live. All is well in those areas today. At least, for a few more more hours until the Physical Therapist arrives to whip me into walking shape. His name is Igor - pronounced EE-Gore - just in time for Halloween creepiness and a few stereotypical jokes. With his thick Russian accent and no-nonsense demeanor, I will certainly be walking sooner than later without assistance but reeling in post-PT pain for several hours after he is finished with me today. It's that classic "No pain, no gain" thing. Grit your teeth and sally forth. Ouch! Sheet! Grrr! Mommy, help me!


I won't complain too much. The fact that I have health insurance is key not only to the initial surgery and hospital stay/care, but the recovery process following any major surgery where mobility and/or regular monitoring is/are involved.

The help I am receiving is another reason why I firmly support Universal Heathcare and remain staunchly adamant that the people who oppose such an important part of a healthy, quality-of-life program are completely out of touch with regular Americans, especially when suggesting that churches and charity organizations should pick up the slack when people cannot afford medical care or have been tossed-out to the street through foreclosures and unemployment through no fault of their own.

I would love the Eric Cantor's, Mitch McConnell's and Tim Pawlenty's to live for one month unemployed, uninsured, no job prospects in immediate sight, a dwindling savings account, and have a plethora of health and financial pressures pushing on their lives. How would they fare? Would dropping by their local church asking for food and housing assistance be comfortable for them? Would they wait for hours at a free clinic to see a doctor for whatever ails them? Hell no. They are entitled. Just ask them.

Obama's Healthcare plan may not be perfect. Tweaking is necessary. But to do everything possible to block human beings from receiving medical and financial assistance to simply live a halfway decent life is, as I always write, inhumane, arrogant, cold, rigid and more.

I say (and will again and again) THROW THE JERKS OUT OF CONGRESS who have their heads all the way up their Brooks Brothers' cloaked arses. The 9% approval rating Congress has received is lower than any Congress in history on both ides of the aisle.

Now that says something quite loud, don't you agree? But very few are listening to "the people" anymore. That's okay. Next fall they will discover just how many of their constituents haven't been listening to their BS for quite some time. I know not who will replace them, but replacement is necessary. Just like my fractured hip had to be replaced so I can walk again. If something is broken, it must be fixed. And Congress is fractured in multiple places.

Have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment