Thursday, August 16, 2012

Standing My Ground

Good morning/afternoon/evening/middle-of-the-night…..

I come to the Writing Machine today ready to expose an inner conflict I have been dealing with for a while: the content of this blog. Half of my friends want me to stop writing about celebrities; the other half only come to this blog to read what I might write about "Les personnes célèbrese", especially if they don't follow the Celebrity Gossip Scene so that they can catch up on a few of the goings-on of our Famous Persons Of Today through my often blurry eyes.

I've asked myself if I need to focus on one specific area of Life to rant about each day (almost) in order to continue to build an audience so as not to confuse people over what they have stopped-by to read. Politics? Scandals? Bad films with wobbly railings that might fall apart during a scene? Who is marrying/divorcing/cheating-on who? Are Extraterrestrials really our Gods? That sort of seemingly scattered content.

Yes, I could focus on one thing/subject and perhaps garner an even larger readership, but then I wouldn't be true to myself or this blog because I simply do not want to write about the same old-same-old all the time. Just as my life and various careers have been mixed, so is the content of what I write.

I admit it does sting a bit when my more literary friends whisper to mutual friends, "She likes that TMZ stuff, doesn't she?" and then shake their heads over how trivial it all is. Well, yeah (or should I write "Jeah!"), gossip can be "trivial" and also hurtful, which is why I try to stay with what we know is "Fact" in those areas – one way or another. But so is our political process and attitudes   - ie; Hurtful/Harmful/Dismal/Petty/Gossipy. One is simply a different group of "Stars." Regardless, I've lost more Facebook "friends" over my political views written on this blog than I ever will by writing about Kristen Stewart.

And so, in airing what's beneath the facade, I'm discovering every second that my fingers hit the keys that I will continue to write about whatever interests me – from the most banal to the most serious issues/topics. So there! I say! I've gotta be ME! (No need to cue the song….)

What's wrong with mixing it up, I ask? I want readers who are open-minded (whether they agree with me or not) on the subject at hand each day. This is not Politico nor is it TMZ. It's both – and more. I don't pretend to have inside gossip about celebs from all areas of The Public Forum most of the time, and if I did I wouldn't share it because I am not a snitch. Quasi-Bitch, mebe, but not THAT! If I were, I would be extremely wealthy from leaking secrets and would not be sitting in front of a computer blogging away the last half (or less) of my life. I'd be set financially and all of my wrinkles would be as smooth as a Restylane facial.

Oh sure, the Jaded Self In You may be thinking. You're "too nice/pure" to play dirty. Well Bless Your Little HeartNot. Nope. I'm not aiming for a Girl Scout Medal (they kicked me out anyway despite the fact that I love uniforms). I'm telling it as it is, as "they" say/write/spout/and so on….

If I did not dally in the less-intense subjects, you would be dropping by to find hysterical blog posts over the alarming rate of the polar ice caps melting; the rise of Killer Virus's that won't go away by the strongest antibiotics on the market; how Japan and the U.S. Gubnet (my new word for "Government") won't tell us just how toxic Fukushima really was and how the radiation leaks have polluted the Pacific far more than we have been told; how genocide continues in Africa while America snores away watching Kim Kar-Cash-In make even more money than the day before because she is a) famous; b) vapid; c) famous; d) vapid.

That's the basic point of today's post – that I must, for my sanity at the least, continue to write what feels "right" for me on any "given day" – and so, I thank all of you who enjoy the diversity of my blog and must say a thoughtful, but strong, "That's who I am" to the naysayers of my writing focus.

Now, where was I?

Image via: http://www.123rf.com

3 comments:

  1. Supporting your independent voice all the way to the flogging podium.

    Keep at it for all of us who bitch and moan without taking the time. I am fired-up these days with the sickening in your face way the gop wants to win the election. It sickens me to watch the koch bros with other heavy finaciers buy this election. Furious is my word for today.

    Gunning for the Liars, CF x 100

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of your better concise posts in general shauna z. being an offshoot of your intellectual writer friends you bring fresh steps into an old mud puddle sometimes.

    the shaman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for the support! Appreciated!

    ReplyDelete