Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Of All the Nerve!

Good morning/afternoon/evening....

So, where was I yesterday that kept me from writing to say I would be gone  - as I usually do if unable to post? I was having a medical emergency of sorts.

After crawling around the house like Andrew Wyeth's famous "Christina's World" painting above, the pinched nerve in my lower back/hip decided to ensure I would not sleep for several days, and told me it was time to see a doctor. Expecting to be gone for a few short hours, off went I in a cab to a nearby doctor's office where I have received emergency treatments for years.

Alas, after x-rays and so on, I spent another part of the day at a pharmacy awaiting many medications for this ailment. And then, having been told by my doctor that I would not be able to walk around without crutches for many days, I chose to stock up for the week and went shopping for groceries...using one of those little power carts the store provided that allow one to zoom around grocery store lanes with whimsical glee, becoming a menace to those who can walk. Having never used one, I will report that it was fun. Zoom-Zoom!

Returning home in the later afternoon with crutches in tow and a bag filled with oral steroids, muscle relaxers and pain medication, following a cortisone shot into my screaming inflamed nerve at the doctor's office, I huffed and puffed toward the computer with the intent to get on with at least one small post to remain consistent.

Ah, but I took both the pain meds and a muscle relaxer before doing so, and within minutes I was falling asleep sideways on my bed, glaring at the laptop as if it were a million miles away - and that's the last thing I remember until being awakened this morning by a hungry pet, reminding me that it was breakfast time!

So here I finally am, making a post to let you all know the basic story...

I haven't checked the news today. For all I know the Congress has blown up the White House and Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have finally decided to end their "we're so in love" couple charade and have announced that they are, indeed, over. Done. Finito. Split. And that Jennifer Aniston has finally forgiven Brad and has kicked her latest beau out the door to let Brad back in - as long as he agrees to take a bath now and then.

I won't take the pain meds or the muscle relaxer until I finish this little info post; therefore we can be assured I won't fall asleep before the daily posts are complete. And, if the world is coming to an untimely end for one reason or another, I'll be back later to add a few more words.

Until then, will be back tomorrow...and thanks for stopping by! 

3 comments:

  1. Ouch!!! Take care of yourself, and get well Shauna. John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John. Haven't had this problem for 30 years and it isn't healing as quickly. Feels like a broken bone...and, as you may recall, I've several of those in my life.

    Appreciate the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean!! When I was home on leave in 1969, I was thrown from a horse and broke my back. 6 months in a body cast, six more in a brace. The Navy told me I would be in a wheel chair by the time I was 58, but I told them, "No way!!" Back pain is an awful experience for anybody to go through. Just take it easy Shauna, and don't do any lifting, bending, or anything that you don't have to. John

    ReplyDelete