Thursday, October 10, 2013

One Less Call To Answer

I made a mistake today (unlike every day). I answered my phone. Just like that! The number was a toll-free thingy, which is the warning signal not to ever, evah, answer the call. But I did on a whim, and, almost 30 minutes later, was freed from the verbal grip of two (count 'em – TWO) Customer Care Rep's thanking me profusely for ordering a Trial Version of their skin care line.

Before I could finish my first Caffeine-infused Morning Tea to find the Bitch Within to abruptly end the call, both (True Pro's, by the way) held my attention convincingly, earnestly, by informing me that the company offers a Great Rewards Package!! I wasn't interested in anything other than the skin care line, but barely had a moment to comment as the Female Rep soothingly began her genteel spiel.

Included in The Golden Rewards Package I will receive for Only $1.00 (until I call to cancel in 2 weeks or agree to spend $30.00 a month for "savings"), I will have a $100 Gas Voucher that I can Keep Forever!!! 

Well, I like that one as I owe a friend who takes me places and picks things up for me (while I'm stuck in The Hills While Not Driving at-the-moment) a generous bonus for their gas-guzzling efforts. Nevertheless, though I'm known to be quite direct/blunt to Telemarketers and others who are attempting to sell something, and refuse to waste my or their time, The Two Pro Rep's were on a roll, pulling me in to Listen-Up, if nothing else. Sipping more tea, shaking last night's First Time In Weeks Decent Sleep from mine brain, I sighed and decided to let them practice their pitch.

But then, as it usually is with calls of this nature, someone goes a bit too far and too long in asking the same questions the Other Rep had asked, as well as Double-Confirming my address, email, name of Spirit Guide, Net Worth, Designer Labels in my closet, etc. Interrupting the Male Rep after the Female Rep went on to other customers, I queried why I had to duplicate my info with him? I had just given the same info to the other person.

How time-consuming, I told him. I had a writing deadline, I said. The call needed to end, but I appreciated the heads-up on what will be attached to my Trial Purchase of a Skin Cream; however, for the record, I wouldn't need the Rewards Stuff. Brief silence on the other end. Then, he must have silently nodded in agreement, as he knew his time to Sell Me On It was waning, thus he accelerated his speech.

We ended on a pleasant note, but, For Once And For All I will remember to ignore those 800/866/877 numbers on my screen, conserving what remaining sanity I have by enjoying silence in the morn, as well as not beginning my day talking to strangers about how great it is I chose their product, yadda-yadda-yadda…and here's a little Thing Attached You Need To Hear.

I know. It goes with The Territory of buying things online, as well as accepting trial offers. So, now I have to go through the hassle (not huge) of Remembering To CALL (not email or anything else) the company within two weeks to CANCEL or else – you know how it goes – the charge will be automatically deducted from my account.

I'll remember. And I'll also remind myself to Follow My Intuition when it involves my decision years ago to not waste time on the phone with anyone, which is why most of my friends have grown snarly at me over the years because I no longer enjoy hours of chat. I prefer writing, which is why Social Media is my Time-Waster-Of-Choice right now. At least there I can hang with former colleagues and learn things I can never write about on this blog.

Pssst. I can keep some things to myself, but not when it involves Disruption Of Peace – be it my "fault" or not.

Side note: With regard to Disruption Of Peace, isn't it a Serious Hoot that To This Day some people are STILL trying to comprehend that it is The GOP/Tea Party who are responsible for The Shutdown madness, not Obama? That it will be The GOP's Swan Song should the USA default on the Debt Ceiling? AND, isn't it a True Smackdown that the Owners of our country, the Koch Brothers, are hissing derisively in the direction of John Boehner?

Oh, tee hee. But, that's a story for another day… from TDFB …cuz' it is definitely THE political story Today Everywhere Else.

Well, look at all of those words I've written! I must have had at least 3 cups of strong black tea during this morning's Custom Care Listen-Fest!

See you tomorrow with Friday Fun postings….

Image via: http://articles.lovingyou.com

No comments:

Post a Comment