Saturday, June 1, 2013

Praise - No Haze - No Flog - Just Amazed


Look at that quote; just look at it. Isn't it the most wonderful truth of all? I knew when I first looked at it, this was a comment I could honestly share.


Today would have been Marilyn Monroe's 87th Birthday. Would all of her fans (myself included) still adore her if she had lived that long? Of course we would. At least we'd love the Personage of Marilyn as seen by what we were "sold" during her Movie Star Reign. However, there was always far more to the Sex Icon of the 50's and 60's than pills, depression, desperation, illness and romantic misadventures. A Mind – a curious one, I will add – was always going strong.

As biographies, "Tell-All's" and other outlets of Marilyn Info have swirled through the world's bookstores and now, Kindles, those who have been interested in her life and the remaining questions/conspiracies surrounding her death know, she was One Complex Woman. Therefore; being a Complex Woman Myself, she has intrigued me throughout my life. Not only was I aware of how men viewed her on a sexual level while I was still running around chasing Lightning Bugs in my backyard during the summers, it was very clear that my mother and other women liked her, too. No jealousy going on, nor hidden-latent Lesbian Desires, either.

Her appeal went beyond sexual appetites as she opened herself to scrutiny via High Profile Disastrous Marriages to a few Menz Of Power = Her Hero Athlete Possessive-Jealous husband, Joe DiMaggio, and Mr. Brainy Playwright, Arthur Miller. Few can forget the sad images of her sun-glass-covered eyes following both divorces. Nor can anyone who has followed her life ignore the vulnerability for which she melted many hearts with her Human Dramas playing out in what was then the version of Current Tabloids such as PhotoPlay and the like.

But that was simply one part of her story. The other? Open-minded, gutsy, with more than a dash of self-wisdom and a deeply painful understanding of the flaws of those around her as well as within herself. Not many Hollywood Stars at that time would dare to be so open about their feelings as was she.

So, on this day I Remember Marilyn. I also will acknowledge that I was 9 years-old when she passed. I was sitting in a darkened Living Room at my home - alone - in front of the TV while my parents were at my father's store next door. In the midst of some kind of TV program I surely do not recall, a News Bulletin flashed across the screen "Marilyn Monroe Dead'! I was startled. I felt incredibly sad. I think I may have cried. At that age, I don't quite know why.

From that point forth, no magazine cover for months was not without a picture of her, as well as a revamping of her Last Pro Pix in the Pool With Nothing On - and then, later - just a towel. The "Sex" image focus was at the forefront. Little did anyone (other than Hollywood Peeps With Awareness) realize just how excellent an actress she had become over the years. It would take time, perspective, and spontaneous laughter from new audiences to recognize what a comedic little genius she was.

As always, I could "go on..." Nope. You get the point. I loved Marilyn. Millions loved and continue to love Marilyn for differing and often combined reasons.

Years following her death, I fell in love with her again in an admirable way while watching "How To Marry A Millionaire" when she played the part of a visually-impaired woman who couldn't see a bleeping thing without her glasses, thereby bumping into every object and person not-in-sight when not wearing her character's Hidden Horror Of The Ages. You know how it went those days? "A man won't make passes to girls who wear glasses." Something like that.

Hah! I bet anyone with a heart and bit of wit would denounce that silly phrase in a second.

Image via: Who Knows? 

2 comments:

  1. This is soooooooo beautiful!!!

    JRN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, J. Without your "find" you know part of this post would not have been complete!

    ReplyDelete