Wednesday, July 6, 2011

In Memorandum

There is no flogging today. The music industry lost it’s oldest, goldest, 92-year-old teenager on Monday. Jane Scott, music critic/reporter, was based in Cleveland, Ohio, but her influence reached far beyond that city. Every musician she met fell in adoration of her for being purely who she was.

Those of us who knew her have been writing the most wonderful memories on our FB radio-based page. The accolades, the love, the funny stories, have been inspiring to read. She supported the careers of so many DJ's and musicians that the list grows longer each day.

Her first-ever music-related interview was with The Beatles. Not a bad way to begin a fascinating career.

I'd like you all to know what she was about. Below are tributes, articles from the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.

 http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/arts/music/jane-scott-veteran-rock-music-reporter-dies-at-92.html?_r=2&ref=todayspaper<

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-jane-scott-20110705,0,6785907.story

I'll share what I wrote on FB yesterday on the radio page. My story of Jane pales in comparison to many a delightful, detailed remembrance of certain wonderfully eccentric and endearing aspects of her character, but as I didn't know a few of those great details, this is the best I can do:

Jane Scott was, as so many have noted here, a wonderfully supportive and dedicated, passionate advocate of music and those who made it, played it, and lived it. When I first arrived on the Cleveland music scene at WNCR, then at WMMS, she never missed an opportunity to plug my personal appearances at concerts and other events. I have saved many of her articles from those days...always feeling grateful for her support.

Jane was always up for a new story, and, despite suspecting that Chuck Dunaway and I were pulling a PR stunt by announcing our impending marriage prior to my departure from Ohio to California, she ran w/ it and also subtly voiced her (correct) suspicions. I loved her for that - as well.

I send my heart-felt love her way where I believe she still is writing what she's hearing and seeing in her new music venue in the musical heavens.

RIP, Jane. I'm sure you will be given a special spot in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a turf you walked many a time.

Picture via The Plain Dealer/AP

No comments:

Post a Comment