Monday, December 2, 2013

There's Something About Mondays and Me

Welcome (maybe not) to Monday! As I've been writing, Mondays are Turning Against Me like a scorned Something Or Other (which means you can fill in the blank and you'd be correct no matter what you'd think-write in your head). A month ago today a TV fell on my head and thrust my face into an Armoire shelf, almost fracturing my nose.

(At the time my Main Doc and I thought it was broken until, after the swelling subsided, an ENT diagnosed the mess as an Almost Fracture…but now I have what seems to be permanent dark circles, broken capillaries, and a hollowness under both eyes combined with a dis-configuration of my Upper Lip that was also harmed in the Smash-Up where the trauma decided to spread and stick out its tongue at how my face continues to fall apart.)

Another Monday during that time period involved a "Family Emergency." AND, the Monday prior to that Sad Monday was filled with Personal Human-Like Drama that drained the Bee-Hey-Suse out of what was left of my energy reserves (of which there had been very little). Today didn't stop the cackling of Monday's Eff You, Shauna Z!

Allow me to tell you The Story:

So exhausted from months of Crappy Life Stuff, I fell asleep in the midst of one of my Fav New TV Shows last night, waking in the wee hours all askew, face down, on top of the bed with my cat happily ensconced on my back, purring-away as if Mommy's New Sleeping Position was The Best Cat Perch Ever! (At least she kept me warm as I was not under the covers.)

Disoriented, I found my way under the duvet and onto my back to finalize the Sleep Cure my body has been forcing on me for several days and nights – at the oddest times – since Thanksgiving. When my body felt it had had enough sleep, I awoke again, stumbled through the last remnants of pre-dawn darkness, and shuffled over to my desk, turned on the computer, and – wait for it – Nothing Happened! The Black Screen Of Computer Death was staring back at me. If it had been Possessed, I know it would have winked a Perverse Wink at my now slowly Disintegrating Face – just because IT wants to play with my Not-Up-To-More-Crap-Nerves. It's Perverse, I tell you!

I'll spare you a ton of Technical Details and provide a Cliff Notes Version of how things played-out: one the first things I did upon realizing I might have a Crashed Computer Beyond Fixing, was to dash to my Rx Place in the bathroom to swallow more than the usual amount of anti-anxiety meds, and then, emboldened by Synthetic Chemicals to keep me sane, marched back to the desk like a Weary Warrior, sat down, and began Willing the laptop back into working order by a flurry of keystrokes, reboots, and on and on and on until an hour later – Voila! – something clicked and I was Back In Biz!

A quick Virus Scan confirmed my instinct that overnight one of the Virus Elves had run amuck and had attacked my main OS (Operating System). You bet I got rid of BOTH files that were infected and ran two more Security Scans with Other Software I use for Malware Detection to ensure that the Bad Virus Elf was gone, joining its Other Nasty Friends in Virus Purgatory.

And now, here we are! However, when I eventually shut down The Writing Machine later today/tonight, I'll not be assured of a "Normal" Start-Up tomorrow morning despite today's apparent "fix" which makes me feel all queasy inside.

Sure, it's Cyber Monday and computer deals are flying all over the place, thus today would be A Good Day to buy a new laptop before another tenuous element that has been going on with my once-trusty computer breaks down. It's a problem a Techie told me had to be fixed through the manufacturer, and that the cost would be absurd to do so and I may as well buy a new one as fixing the weak element would cost the same as a buying a New Laptop.

BUT, I just bought a new TV to replace the broken one after the Monday Face-Crash Debacle! And I'm just now beginning to make my first payments. I also have too much on My Debt Plate as it is, and The Last Thing I need is to add to it if I want to have things like Food for the next six months. What to do? I no longer have Backup Computers like I once did. I'm not going to borrow someone else's for a thousand reasons. (Been There and Won't Do That Again!)

So, if you check in tomorrow and nothing new has been posted for Way Too Long, send a little prayer my way (or nice thoughts if you don't pray), cuz that means I've not been able to access the programs and have crumpled into a Sad Heap in the corner, babbling-away at Imaginary Elves.

Or, to avoid The Victim Syndrome, I may just throw myself at the mercy of Another Payment Plan with Money I Don't Have and force myself to buy a new computer which will lesson the Tech Stress and merely add to the Sudden Appearance of Grey Hairs, compliments of Too Much Stress caused by Money-Money-Money, honey.

As I've written here in the past, Money Makes The World Go Down. Or, at least, not having enough of it does when Things Go "Break" in the night.

See you back here tomorrow – maybe.

Image via: http://www.carew.com

No comments:

Post a Comment