Thursday, December 5, 2013

Another Empty Chair On the Air

So, MSNBC is going through another round of chaos with Martin Bashir's resignation. What is happening over there – I ask again? Of late, the cable channel decided (wisely) to drop Alec Baldwin's program after he blurted-out disparaging homophobic slurs to a Paparazzo who had been lurking in front of Baldwin's NYC home last month.

I agree with MSNBC's decision – beyond just the bad PR his outburst created, but for the fact that, in my opinion, he had no business hosting a show there. Why? Why not? He's just not that appealing as a host for serious issues despite his poltical and cultural opinions we have seen in written form on The Huffington Post over the years. Stay in film and Fictional TV comedies, Mr. Baldwin. You do well in those arenas.

As far as Bashir's "resignation" is concerned, I also must agree with it, although I sincerely doubt it was nothing more than a basic firing. If you don't follow these stories, I'll be quick and succinct over the Bashir mess: On November 15, Mr. Bashir decided to slay Sarah Palin's oblivious (so what else is new) remarks about slavery in a November 9 speech in Iowa. (THIS is what she said via Bashir's now-job-losing comments.)

However, although I admire and respect anyone who can be brutally honest and passionate about their beliefs, Bashir went way too far in his response to Dear Little Empty-Headed Sarah when he suggested that someone should defecate in her mouth. Yuck!

That was a rough statement, wouldn't you say? I truly dislike Palin with all of my Liberal Feelings pulsing away against her uneducated nonsense, but I also don't believe it's professional or decent to be so crass  – especially as a TV Host of any ilk. Yesterday I felt differently about his leave-taking. Today, with more thought, I have to admit it was time for Martin Bashir to go home. Clearly, he sunk well below Palin's IQ when he chose to take The Low Road.

I can write whatever crude words with a cynical attitude I want to use on this blog when I'm mad or shocked and disgusted by many of the GOPer's' thoughtless statements about almost anything they say that shows ignorance, smugness and blatant lying. But, this is a little blog. I am not on TV or the radio. I don't have sponsors (nor can I with this blog's Host as I would break all of their advertising rules), and although the audience for TDFB is decent for a non-PR'd site, I don't think of this "public forum" as a place where I am influencing millions of people every day that could reflect poorly on the host of my blog. No one will lose money if I cross a line. The worse that could happen is that I could lose too many readers.

In Bashir's case, he worked for a network which is part of the NBC Family, a "corporation" held together by advertising money that pays the bills and salaries of thousands of people around the world. Beyond saying that some of those people can "Go to Hell" I wouldn't share further disdain with the words and imagery Bashir used on that fateful day about anyone were I to be more than Just Another Blogger. It simply is not professional no matter how beautifully his words flow forth from his mouth.

And so, once more, I bid farewell to yet another MSNBC Host as the Musical Chairs continue to swirl and twirl, leaving many of us with a lingering feeling of dizziness.

That's all she wrote for the day. See you tomorrow with the Usual Friday Silliness!

Image via: http://siciliandefence.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment