Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Not-So Merry Xmas Tale

So how was your Christmas Holiday? If you observe it. Mine was going well until the smallest little thing set ire in motion for the remainder of the day - which is why I need to remind myself not to bother observing a faux holiday, which I believe it has become over the years. Unless someone else is cooking, hosting, and not involving family ties of any sort, I'm planning to sit the next one out - or change how Xmas has been going for me over the years.

First and foremost - I absolutely LOATHE cooking for holidays. I can't stand the pressure of time tables for arriving guests, nor am I at all happy when a relative stands over my shoulder in the kitchen watching every move I make...because, well, I'm a very good cook and I don't need the interruption or suggestions or questions, such as "How are the potatoes doing" while I'm in the midst of juggling making dressing from scratch on two burners and needing to stir both almost simultaneously. LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE, I finally bark, which, of course, offends all concerned. I'm just diplomatic that way.

But, let's go back to where it all began: After a very lovely, easy-going morning, by late afternoon, just before the guests were to arrive, I decided to open the champagne I had bought for the day and evening. Not a cheap one. Quite expensive, actually. Known to be able to pop a cork in the "cleanest" way, I had no trepidations of opening this bottle in my usual way. As it happened, the pressure in the bottle was so intense that when I popped the cork, the cork flew up into my face followed by a foaming geyser of champagne, and then the bottle shot out of my hands and onto the floor, saturating not only the entire kitchen floor, but my face, clothes, and hair. Less than two small sips remained after this mishap.

Okay. Not a trauma, but certainly an irritant from the mess, a huge waste of money, and an unnecessary - in mine eyes - waste of time because that was the only libation I had for myself. Which meant another trip to the market (I had already been there earlier to pick up last-minute items). Nevertheless, it had to be done, and whipped creme was also needed, so back to the store went I...this time to buy a lower-level champagne that I had noticed was on sale for a decent price. I went, I bought, and, when I returned back to my temporary abode, I noticed that the "Sale" price was not included in my bill. So tired of all of this Champagne Drama, I groused to anyone nearby and declared I would deal with it today. Which I will. This is now two times in two days the same store promised a discount on their libations only to discover the "Sale" price came with NOT ADVERTISED limitations. (You bet I'm going back not only to bitch about the exploding bottle, but the lack of receiving the discount! I like discounts, don't you?)

After the champagne fracas, following a few laughs and later, tension in general as things were piling-up to be done - all went downhill between my mother and me. I don't think either one of us is up to making a full dinner requiring endless amounts of cooking with dozens of pots and pans, as well as spritzing Champagne everywhere that required mopping and drying and all of those things we run into on days like yesterday.

It wasn't the spilling/popping geyser that set the remainder of the day into a tailspin, but two very stressed-out people who shouldn't have offered to provide beloved friends with a decent Christmas Dinner.

Other than the above, I had lovely day! How was yours?

Image via: I don't know.

2 comments: